Wednesday, September 7, 2011

And it begins!


There is a lot I can write about my experiences while my husband was gone for boot camp. It’s funny, but the things I thought I would miss I didn't seem to notice. It is the things that aggravated me about my husband that I truly did miss.

     I remember been completely stressed the week before he left.  I had to make sure that everything taken care of. This included being able to access bills to making sure he had everything he needed for the duration; to making memories with him and the kids, to help the kids through the separation. To top it all off, I was planning my boys birthday party, and a surprise party for my dh. I had to send him off in style.

    If you are considering having a surprise going away party… don't do it! Looking back, I was so stressed that I missed out on spending precious time with my husband so others who would not make an effort, could tell him "Goodbye".

   My husband’s ‘departure date was moved forward two days. I had to share my time with extended family. I know I sound selfish, but if you fast forward to where we are now, you would understand. An angel must have whispering in my ear.
    I remember my mother in law drove us to MEPS, so he could do his finally paperwork. After MEPS, we drove to the airport to say goodbye.

    Out of all the goodbyes we had to say that was defiantly one of the hardest. I think it was because it was sooner than I expected. Or maybe it was because this was the first time I had to say goodbye for any period of time. Though I think what a big part of it was, I knew right at that moment our lives would be changed forever!

  I remember crying so hard I caught the attention of those around me. I really did not intend to be that emotional, but I honestly couldn't help it, the tears kept flowing. One woman came up to me and told me that she was grateful for our sacrifice, and that she would be praying for us. That was hard to hear, I didn't consider what we were doing a sacrifice. My dh was going to Fort Sill for boot camp, not getting deployed.  I thanked her anyway, and told her I appreciated it. I did that for all the women and men, who are experiencing a deployment. I knew one day I would too.
     I thought I would be able to talk about more than the week he left.  I feel the need to share about the emotions, I experienced. I will write more about our journey, for now I leave you with this. Pray for those who are gone, pray for those who will never return, and pray for those families who stand behind our military!
                                            Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I am so pleased to meet you and be your very first follower!!!

    I'm not gonna lie, this life is HARD. But trust me when I say it does get easier. I think the hardest part to overcome is the constant "unknown." The military is never consistant (as you already know). I can't even tell you how many times my hubby was slated to go somewhere and then it was canceled or was supposed to be home for months and then was called on an emergency mission.

    Those have been the hardest times for me, but now I know never to be surprised. Do I like it, absololutely NOT!!! But I have learned to live with it anyway.

    My best advice to you is find an FRG (family readiness group). This is where you should be able to get all the info you need on your soldier. Some FRG's are bad unfortunately, but it doesn't hurt to check yours out. You may find that it really is a good one.

    I'll see ya round!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, and feedback!